You might be worried because your dog just licked some of its EnteDerm ointment. Find out the effects it could have here.
Depending on your dog’s size and the amount of ointment it licked, the effects can range from mild to severe. For mild cases, your dog might drool or gag and for severe cases, it can experience diarrhea, vomiting, or even organ failure.
This article will cover everything you need to know about what happens when a dog licks Entederm ointment. First, it will explain what Entederm is and what it’s used for. Next, it will go over the effects of Entederm on dogs when ingested. Finally, this article will tell you what to do in case your dog licks up a large amount of Entederm ointment.
Table of Contents
What is EnteDerm Ointment?
EnteDerm is a medical ointment that’s given to dogs, cats, and horses to relieve inflammation and itching. It’s commonly used to treat bacterial and yeast infections that can irritate your dog.
This ointment contains antibiotic, antifungal, and corticosteroid properties that work together to fight skin infections. It provides four therapeutic effects: anti-inflammatory, antipruritic, antifungal, and antibacterial. It contains a synthetic corticosteroid that supports quick and long-lasting relief from symptoms.
Can Licking EnteDerm Make My Dog Sick?
Since EnteDerm is a topical ointment, it’s not meant to be ingested by your dog. If your dog has licked EnteDerm, it can experience lethargy, vomiting, excessive drooling, and diarrhea. The symptoms will depend on how much EnteDerm your dog has consumed.
The smaller your dog is, the more at-risk it is for experiencing severe symptoms. A small dog is at risk of lung or heart failure when it consumes EnteDerm ointment. For larger dogs, most cases don’t lead to any complications. At most, a large dog will have an upset stomach after ingesting the ointment.
You should always be on high alert if your dog ingests EnteDerm, regardless of the amount. Each dog is unique and can experience symptoms despite its size. It’s your job as an owner to make sure your dog is safe.
What To Do If Your Dog Licks Entederm
Observe Your Dog
The first thing to do is to check on your dog’s behavior. See if its stomach or intestines are upset. You can tell if your dog is vomiting or experiencing diarrhea. You might also notice that your dog is lethargic or has less energy.
If your dog vomits a few times but continues to behave normally, you can rest assured that your dog will probably be fine. When this is the case, it’s best to keep food away from your dog for at least 24 hours. Afterward, you can feed your dog a bland diet for a few days before bringing back its regular diet.
Use Hydrogen Peroxide
If the incident is recent, you can induce vomiting by giving your dog a small amount of hydrogen peroxide. Be sure to use a hydrogen peroxide 3-percent solution. Most homes have this in their medicine cabinets and you should always have some on hand as a first-aid solution for your pet.
Don’t use hydrogen peroxide if your dog is:
- Already vomiting.
- Struggling to breathe
The proper amount of hydrogen peroxide to give your dog is 1 teaspoon per 5 lbs of your dog’s weight. The maximum dose is 3 tablespoons for dogs that weigh more than 45 lbs. Squirt the solution from the side of your dog’s mouth with a feeding syringe or turkey baster.
Take Your Dog to the Vet
If you are worried about waiting too long or feel uncomfortable using hydrogen peroxide, the best course of action is to take your dog to the vet. Your veterinarian can quickly determine the severity of your dog’s symptoms and what the best course of action is.
Your veterinarian will likely perform first aid for poisoning in dogs as well as check on your dog’s organs to make sure they’re alright.
Although EnteDerm is meant for pets, it can sometimes be unsafe for your dog. In general, licking up EnteDerm ointment won’t lead to any long-lasting side effects. The most immediate effects of EnteDerm ingestion are vomiting, diarrhea, and lethargy.
If your dog licks its EnteDerm ointment, you should observe its behavior. Keeping an eye on your dog will help you know if you can treat it yourself or if you need to take it to the vet. To avoid any incidents, you should keep your ointment far away from your dog’s reach and have your dog wear a cone if you are applying EnteDerm to its skin.
At the end of the day, the best option is to leave it up to your veterinarian. Although it can be pricey, you can never pay too much to make sure that your dog is healthy.
Hey there! I’m Matt and I’m a content writer from the Philippines. I’ve raised over 10 dogs and 5 cats. I love taking care of my rescue dog Kewpie and my two rescue cats, Misty and Rosy.